Weekly Newsletter (October 10-14, 2022)
OSPO Meeting Time Change
Last week we told you about the pivot in the Value Working Group to be more focused on the needs of OSPOs. This new direction has also meant a new time for this meeting. It will still happen bi-weekly on Thursdays but will now be at 11:00 am US Central/Chicago Time. As always, you can keep up with all the CHAOSS meeting changes by subscribing to our CHAOSS calendar here: https://chaoss.community/participate.
We are Expanding the Badger Team Again!
Our DEI Event Badging Program is gaining more traction in the open source event space, and as such, our number of applications is growing. To keep up with this increase in demand, we will be training another group of Badgers. Badgers are the ones who review badge applications (2 Badgers are assigned for each application) and make recommendations on any improvements an organizer might make. If this sounds interesting to you, we invite you to join us at the New Badger Orientation Meeting on October 26 at 11:00 am US Central/Chicago time. This team is open to newcomers and seasoned CHAOSS community members alike. Reach out to Elizabeth Barron for an invitation to the meeting if you’d like to attend or learn more about being a Badger.
Latest Beta Release for Augur
The Augur team announced its latest release via Slack. For those who may have missed it, here are the specifics:
augur-newbranch is a stable version of our new architecture, which features:
- Dramatic improvement in the speed of large scale (10,000+ repos). All data is obtained for 10k+ repos within a week
- A new job management architecture that uses Celery and Redis to manage queues, and enables users to run a Flower job monitoring dashboard
- Materialized views to increase the snappiness of API’s and Frontends on large scale data
- Changes to primary keys, which now employ a UUID strategy that ensures unique keys across all Augur instances
- Support for https://github.com/chaoss/sandiego-rh dashboards (view a sample here: https://eightknot.osci.io/). (Beautification coming soon!)
- Data collection completeness assurance is enabled by a structured, relational data set that is easily compared with platform API Endpoints
New CHAOSScast Episode #67: CHAOSS Newcomer Slack Bot and She Code Africa with Precious and Iyimide
CHAOSS was so fortunate to have been chosen to participate in She Code Africa Contributhon Mentorship program earlier in the year! In this Episode, host Georg Link speaks with mentees Precious Abubakar and Iyimide Adegunloye, along with panelists and She Code Africa mentors Ruth Ikegah, Matt Cantu Snell, and Elizabeth Barron. They talk about the mentorship program itself, the project (our CHAOSS Newcomer Slack Bot) and what was learned along the way. This is a great episode, especially if you are interested in contributing to the Slack bot, or are a prospective mentee in CHAOSS and want to know firsthand what it’s like to participate in a program like this! You can listen here: https://podcast.chaoss.community/67.
Reminder: Next Onboarding Meeting for Newcomers to CHAOSS November 2
The CHAOSS community continues to grow! To make the onboarding process a little easier, Elizabeth Barron (CHAOSS Community Manager) and Ruth Ikegah (CHAOSS Africa Community Lead) will be hosting onboarding meetings the first Wednesday of every month at 11:00 am US Central/Chicago time, with the next one happening on November 2. We know this time is not convenient for everyone, but this is just a start and we will add and iterate as we go.
This meeting will cover:
- General overview of CHAOSS
- How you can begin contributing
- How to get started with using the metrics
We hope you can join to meet other newcomers and learn about CHAOSS! You can convert to your time zone here.
Bitergia’s Metric of the Month: The Elephant Factor
On a fabulous new series of blog posts by the Bitergia folks, you can take a deep dive into an individual metric. This month, they cover the Elephant Factor, and share experiences with those who are using this metric to measure this facet of community health. (And no, this metric does not measure how many contributions were made by elephants, although that would be awesome.) You can read all about this Metric of the Month on Bitergia’s blog.
RfP for OpenBench Workshop from CHAOSS Asia-Pacific
Several members from our CHAOSS Asia-Pacific Community are co-organizing OpenBench Workshop, a virtual conference around benchmarking metrics, and they invite you to submit your ideas for talks! You can learn more about the conference on the OpenBench Workshop site. This virtual conference happens November 6, 2022 from 08:00 – 12:00 (UTC-5). Reach out to Xiaoya Xia (CHAOSS Asia-Pacific Community Lead) if you are interested in submitting a talk for this conference or learning more.
CHAOSS Community Survey: Next Steps
Now that our CHAOSS Community Survey has wrapped up, our DEI Audit Team will analyze the survey data, make recommendations for community improvements, and craft an implementation plan. Then we will share the results and plan publicly and with our community so that other open source projects can learn from our journey. Stay tuned!
All calls use our CHAOSS community Zoom link: https://zoom.us/my/chaoss. All meetings are listed in the US Central Time (Chicago) timezone, currently on Daylight Savings Time. (Convert into your local time here). You can also subscribe to the CHAOSS Calendar, or join the #general channel on Slack for meeting reminders.
Tuesday, October 18
- CHAOSS on the Web: chaoss.community
- CHAOSS on GitHub: github.com/chaoss
- CHAOSS on Community Bridge: tinyurl.com/y6bao886
- CHAOSS Podcast: tinyurl.com/CHAOSScast
- CHAOSS on YouTube: youtube.com/c/CHAOSStube
- CHAOSS on Twitter: twitter.com/chaossproj
- CHAOSS on LinkedIn: linkedin.com/company/chaoss/
- CHAOSS on Slack: chaoss-workspace