Weekly Newsletter (September 12-16, 2022)
Reminder: CHAOSS Meetings Resume This Week
We took a little break last week from our usually scheduled meetings, but all regular meetings resume this week. A full list can be seen below and all meetings are held on our CHAOSS Zoom channel: https://zoom.us/my/chaoss. Hope you can join us!
Reminder: Take the CHAOSS Community Survey
Last week we announced that the CHAOSS Community Survey wsa open! We highly encourage everyone in the CHAOSS community to take this survey and share their thoughts and experiences with being a part of the CHAOSS community.
From our blog post announcement:
A core value of CHAOSS is centering diversity, equity, and inclusion in everything we do. In order to make our community more welcoming and inclusive and continue to center DEI, we have been working with our DEI Audit team to develop a community survey. With this survey, we hope to increase our understanding of community members’ experiences within CHAOSS, and surface areas for improving our policies and practices.
Please feel free to read the full blog post for more details on the survey, and help us make our community more welcoming and inclusive for all!
Volunteer Opportunity: CHAOSScon Video Editing
We are looking for someone to help us make the in-person talks at CHAOSScon available for everyone! If you have experience with video editing software and would be able to separate the individual talks and add some CHAOSS brand elements, we would appreciate the help. Once we have talks broken into individual videos, we can upload them to YouTube. We estimate the video editing will take 1-2 hours, and will make a huge impact in helping others learn from the talks that were given at CHAOSScon. Please reach out to Georg Link or Elizabeth Barron on Slack if you are able to take this on.
CHAOSScon Slides and Pre-Recorded Talks Available
As mentioned above, we are working on posting recordings of the in-person talks from CHAOSScon. But in the meantime, we welcome you to watch the three pre-recorded talks, which are now on CHAOSStube:
The slides from the in-person talks are also available on our CHAOSScon page, under Schedule.
Congratulations to our GSOC Graduates!
Last week also brought the end to our 2022 Google Summer of Code cohort. We wanted to recognize and extend a heartfelt congratulations to the following mentees who successfully completed their projects!
- Mabel F – project worked on: A Novel Implementation of Conversion Rate Metric Model in CHAOSS Software
- Enoch Kaxada – project worked on: DEI Event Badging Bot CI/CD and Assign Algorithm
- Priya Srivastava – project worked on: Build Access and Entitlements into a Hosted Version of Augur
- Yash Prakash – project worked on: Build Knowledgebase Application on CHAOSS Website
- Ramya Kappagantu – project worked on: Machine Learning based Community Health and Communication
We also want to recognize the many CHAOSS mentors who spent a lot of time working with our GSOC mentees:
- Kevin Lumbard
- Ritik Malik
- Yehui Wang
- Venu Vardhan Reddy Tekula
- Sean Goggins
- Andrew Brain
- Vinod Ahuja
- Elizabeth Barron
- Matt Cantu Snell
Together, you all made a huge impact on CHAOSS and our community!
New Onboarding Meeting for Newcomers to CHAOSS
The CHAOSS community continues to grow! To make the onboarding process a little easier, Elizabeth Barron (CHAOSS Community Manager) and Ruth Ikegah (CHAOSS Africa Community Lead) will be hosting onboarding meetings the first Wednesday of every month at 11:00 am US Central/Chicago time, starting October 5. We know this time is not convenient for everyone, but this is just a start and we will add and iterate as we go.
This meeting will cover:
- General overview of CHAOSS
- How you can begin contributing
- How to get started with using the metrics
We hope you can join to meet other newcomers and learn about CHAOSS! You can convert to your time zone here.
All calls use our CHAOSS community Zoom link: https://zoom.us/my/chaoss. All meetings are listed in the US Central Time (Chicago) timezone, currently on Daylight Savings Time. (Convert into your local time here). You can also subscribe to the CHAOSS Calendar, or join the #general channel on Slack for meeting reminders.
- CHAOSS on the Web: chaoss.community
- CHAOSS on GitHub: github.com/chaoss
- CHAOSS on Community Bridge: tinyurl.com/y6bao886
- CHAOSS Podcast: tinyurl.com/CHAOSScast
- CHAOSS on YouTube: youtube.com/c/CHAOSStube
- CHAOSS on Twitter: twitter.com/chaossproj
- CHAOSS on LinkedIn: linkedin.com/company/chaoss/
- CHAOSS on Slack: chaoss-workspace