Weekly Newsletter (June 13-17, 2022)
Reminder: Mid-Year Break from CHAOSS Meetings
CHAOSS will be taking a little break from regularly scheduled meetings June 20-July 1 2022, and all regular working group and community meetings will be canceled during this time. Regular working group and community meetings will resume July 5, 2022. (Any meetings between mentors and mentees for GSoC, GSoD, or Outreachy can still happen when needed. As well, the Web Content meetings will still continue. This cancellation only applies to our other regular CHAOSS-wide meetings.) Enjoy your break!
CHAOSScon Registration is Open
The CfP for CHAOSScon has closed, but registration for the event is open! CHAOSScon is an add-on to Open Source Summit Europe, so in order to attend in person, you will need to purchase registration for this event as well. CHAOSScon tickets are $50 and you can register on the OSSEU registration page. If you would like to attend virtually, you do not need to register for the event (at least not at the moment), and it will be free to attend.
The CHAOSScon schedule will be announced July 7, 2022.
Volunteer Opportunity: CHAOSScast Coordinating
We are looking for 1-2 volunteers to help coordinate our podcast (CHAOSScast) for the next three months (July – September). CHAOSScast is a key method by which we connect with and provide unique insights to our community. We typically release on a bi-weekly schedule but would consider releasing every 3 weeks instead. This opportunity entails:
- finding times and dates that work for invited guests, hosts, panelists
- setting up calendar invitations
- setting up Google docs for pre-recording collaboration on topics
- making sure everyone has access to the info they need and that guests know what the expectations are
- keeping track of the status of where podcasts are in the scheduling/recording process
- coordinating with the editing team on new recordings
- publishing the podcasts to the website
- sending a small thank you note to guests after the podcasts have been published
You would not have to participate in the podcast, and everything can be done asynchronously on your own time. These processes are all documented to make it easier. And, if needed, we could break this into 2 volunteers: one to help with coordinating before a podcast happens, and one to take over after the recording is done.
If this sounds like something you’d be interested in helping with, we’d love to hear from you. This is a fantastic way to contribute to the CHAOSS project and make a difference in our community! Please let Elizabeth know at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have an interest.
Thank You for an Amazing Maintainer Burnout Session!
As part of GitHub’s Maintainer Month (June), CHAOSS hosted a one-hour interactive workshop on Maintainer Burnout. The event was quite successful with almost 30 participants from a variety of open source projects. We shared personal experiences with burnout and talked about ways to successfully manage burnout before and after it happens. We also talked about CHAOSS’s Burnout Metric and got some valuable insight into how maintainers and community leaders are using strategies to create healthier environments for themselves and their contributors. Notes will be shared with the attendees, and we are extremely grateful to all who attended! Also, a big thank you to Ruth Ikegah, Matthew Tift, and Sophia Vargas for their help in facilitating this amazing session. It was awesome!
Mid-Year Break is upon us! No regular calls (with the below exception) this week.
All calls use our CHAOSS community Zoom link: https://zoom.us/my/chaoss. All meetings are listed in the US Central Time (Chicago) timezone, currently on Daylight Savings Time. (Convert into your local time here). You can also subscribe to the CHAOSS Calendar, or join the #general channel on Slack for meeting reminders.
Thursday, June 9
9:00am Web Content Meeting (Agenda and Minutes)
- CHAOSS on the Web: chaoss.community
- CHAOSS on GitHub: github.com/chaoss
- CHAOSS on Community Bridge: tinyurl.com/y6bao886
- CHAOSS Podcast: tinyurl.com/CHAOSScast
- CHAOSS on YouTube: youtube.com/c/CHAOSStube
- CHAOSS on Twitter: twitter.com/chaossproj
- CHAOSS on LinkedIn: linkedin.com/company/chaoss/
- CHAOSS on Slack: chaoss-workspace