Weekly Newsletter (December 10, 2021-January 10, 2022)
CHAOSS is back!
We have officially returned from our end-of-year break, and we are so happy to be getting back in the swing of things. We also want to welcome the newcomers who popped in Slack over our break. We are glad you’re here! For anyone new or who may have stepped away from CHAOSS for a while, here are some reminders about how you can connect with us:
- Virtual meetings happen all the time here, and they’re all resuming this week. There’s a list below, but also you can see the full calendar on our Participate Page. Our meetings are recorded and posted to our CHAOSStube Youtube Channel, if you want to see what one of our meetings is like.
- We have a Slack channel that we’d love for you to join.
- Our mailing list is low-traffic, but active.
- You can also connect and keep up to date via Twitter.
- Our Chinese Community is very large and active, and you can find specific details on participating on our Participate Page.
Looking forward to connecting with you!
CHAOSScast Episode 49: CHAOSS Community Year 2021 in Review
On this fun episode of CHAOSScast, some of our CHAOSScast panelists and hosts join together to share some of the progress made by CHAOSS in 2021. Join Georg, Sean, Matt, Willem, Dawn, Nicole, Elizabeth, and Xiaoya to hear about our DEI Badging Initiative, metrics advances, metrics models, the growth of our Chinese Community, CHAOSScon, and more. They also discuss where the CHAOSS project is headed and some of their favorite CHAOSScast episodes from 2021. This is a casual episode and a joy to listen to! You can hear it here: https://podcast.chaoss.community/49.
CHAOSS in the News
We are always happy when CHAOSS is mentioned in publications, blogs, or news articles, because… well… it’s exciting, and we want to share with our community. So if you see us mentioned somewhere, please let us know! 😊
- GitHub’s Readme Project: The Secrets to Onboarding New Open Source Contributors
- Justin Flory’s Blog: 4 Metrics to Measure Sustainable Open Source Investments
- Sustain OSS’s 2021 Report
CHAOSS App Ecosystem Releases Updated Metrics for Event Organizers
On the CHAOSS blog, Georg Link shares progress from the work of our App Ecosystem Working Group with regard to metrics for event organizers. In the post, he outlines the 4 goals that event organizers have with events, and how individual metrics can be used to measure progress in support of these goals:
- Goal 1: Retaining and Attracting Contributors
- Goal 2: Have Engaging Events
- Goal 3: Understanding Company Contributions to Event
- Goal 4: Ensure Events Contribute Towards Diversity and Skill Gaps in the Community
All calls use our CHAOSS community Zoom link: https://zoom.us/my/chaoss (except the DEI Badging Weekly Meetings). All meetings are listed in the US Central Time (Chicago) timezone. (Convert into your local time here).
Monday, January 10
12:00pm App Ecosystem Working Group (Agenda and Minutes)
Tuesday, January 11
10:00am – Evolution Working Group (Agenda & Minutes)
10:00am – DEI Badging Outreach (Agenda & Minutes)
11:00am – Weekly Community Call (Agenda & Minutes)
Wednesday, January 12
8:00am – Asia Pacific Community Call (Agenda & Minutes)
8:30am – DEI Badging Weekly (Agenda & Minutes)
10:00am – Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Working Group Meeting (Agenda and Minutes)
Thursday, January 13
9:00am – Value Working Group Meeting (Agenda and Minutes)
- CHAOSS on the Web: chaoss.community
- CHAOSS on GitHub: github.com/chaoss
- CHAOSS on Community Bridge: tinyurl.com/y6bao886
- CHAOSS Podcast: tinyurl.com/CHAOSScast
- CHAOSS on YouTube: youtube.com/c/CHAOSStube
- CHAOSS on Twitter: twitter.com/chaossproj
- CHAOSS on LinkedIn: linkedin.com/company/chaoss/
- CHAOSS on Slack: chaoss-workspace