Weekly Newsletter (September 13-17, 2021)
CHAOSScon Schedule Released 🎉
We are very happy to be releasing the CHAOSScon schedule for our conference on September 30, 2021 in Seattle. Please join us either in person or via the Youtube Livestream!
Some highlights from our schedule include:
- Keynote presentation from Emma Irwin, Microsoft
- 6 talks from industry, academia, researchers, and the CHAOSS community
- On-site signup for Lightning Talk sessions
We also plan on doing an informal CHAOSS meetup while we are in Seattle, but that is still a work in progress. We hope you will join us in our CHAOSScon Slack Channel to communicate with everyone who will be at the conference or participating virtually!
Your Last Week to Review Metrics
This is the last week of our 30-day public review process for the metrics candidates, so you have a few more days to take a look! PLEASE feel free to add your input, +1’s, or any other comments to any or all of these 16 metrics:
- Programming Language Distribution
- Collaboration Platform Activity
- Technical Fork (re-opened)
- Bot Activity
- Event Locations
- Psychological Safety
- Inclusive Experience at Event
- Event Demographics
- Time Inclusion for Virtual Events
- Documentation Discoverability
- Organizational Influence
- Contribution Attribution
- Upstream Dependency Count
- Academic Open Source Project Impact
Thank you so much for your help in making our metrics the best they can be.
CHAOSS in the News
Our friends at the Rochester Institute of Technology have been using GrimoireLab (a CHAOSS software project from Bitergia) to create a portal that will help their OSPO easily display metrics for all their open source software.
Their project is called Mystic, and it’s designed to support the growing number of open source projects run by RIT staff, faculty, and students pursuing a minor in Free and Open Source Software and Free Culture. This field of study is new to academia, and so the RIT OSPO was really starting from square one.
You can read more about their journey with CHAOSS/GrimoireLab and Mystic at Opensource.com: Building an open source community health analytics platform, or hear more about Mystic at CHAOSScon.
Reminder: Come Join us in Slack!
CHAOSS has revived our Slack channel as a form of connecting with our community and holding space for newcomers to ask questions. If you like Slack, join us here! https://join.slack.com/t/chaoss-workspace/shared_invite/zt-r65szij9-QajX59hkZUct82b0uACA6g. Join our #office-hours channel if you have questions, or just pop in our #general channel to say hello! (Also, please note, we have updated the link, so now it won’t expire!)
All calls use our CHAOSS community Zoom link: https://zoom.us/my/chaoss (except the DEI Badging Weekly Meetings). All meetings are listed in the US Central Time (Chicago) timezone. (Convert into your local time here).
Monday, September 20
12:00pm App Ecosystem Working Group (Agenda & Minutes)
Tuesday, September 21
10:00am – Evolution Working Group (Agenda & Minutes)
11:00am – Weekly Community Call (Agenda & Minutes)
Wednesday, September 22
8:00am – Asia Pacific Community Call (Agenda & Minutes)
8:30am – DEI Badging Weekly Meeting (Zoom Link)
10:00am – Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Working Group Meeting (Agenda and Minutes)
Thursday, September 23
9:00am – Value Working Group Meeting (Agenda and Minutes)
- CHAOSS on the Web: chaoss.community
- CHAOSS on GitHub: github.com/chaoss
- CHAOSS on Community Bridge: tinyurl.com/y6bao886
- CHAOSS Podcast: tinyurl.com/CHAOSScast
- CHAOSS on YouTube: youtube.com/c/CHAOSStube
- CHAOSS on Twitter: twitter.com/chaossproj
- CHAOSS on LinkedIn: linkedin.com/company/chaoss/
- CHAOSS on Slack: chaoss-workspace