Weekly Newsletter (August 23-27, 2021)
Metrics Freeze September 1, 2021, When Public Review Opens
We’ve been leading up to this for a while, but the current metrics candidates will be set for public review on September 1, 2021. This means that metrics won’t be changing and no new metrics will be added for the full month of September, for our 2021-10 release.
Our community is encouraged to review and add comments to these metrics candidates during this 30-day review period. PLEASE feel free to add your input, +1’s, or any other comments to any or all of these 16 metrics:
- Programming Language Distribution
- Collaboration Platform Activity
- Technical Fork (re-opened)
- Bot Activity
- Event Locations
- Psychological Safety
- Inclusive Experience at Event
- Event Demographics
- Time Inclusion for Virtual Events
- Documentation Discoverability
- Organizational Influence
- Contribution Attribution
- Upstream Dependency Count
- Academic Open Source Project Impact
Thank you so much for your help in making our metrics the best they can be.
No App Ecosystem Working Group Meeting Monday
Because of the US Labor Day Holiday on September 6, there will be no App Ecosystem Working Group meeting (or any other CHAOSS meetings, for that matter). Enjoy a meeting-free day!
Governance Repo Renamed to Community
Today in the Weekly Community Call, we decided to rename the governance repo to community so it can act more as a central place for asynchronous community discussions through issues. It will also help us keep track of action items that arise from the community call, make those community discussions more transparent, and give everyone in the community a place to submit an idea, question, or comment.
If something’s been on your mind, or you’d like to open an issue, we encourage you to do so! https://github.com/chaoss/community.
Metrics Quality Improvements
Over the past few months, a team has been collaborating to develop the Metrics Checklist, which all our new metrics now abide by. This ensures that each metric goes through a process prior to being released, and it helps us keep things organized and on track. It includes steps and checks for process, content quality, and technical requirements, and you can see the checklist here.
We have always upheld the highest quality standards for our metrics, but we also now include measures like translations (Chinese and Spanish), the inclusion of DEI considerations in every metric, and an opt-in list of contributors who helped developed the metric.
Having this checklist makes sure that we don’t leave anything out, so a big shout-out to the team that worked on this: Kevin Lumbard, Georg Link, Vinod Ahuja, Ritik Malik, and Yash Prakash (and others who offered their input).
The CHAOSScon Committee has a few updates for everyone:
- accepted speakers have been notified and we will be publishing the schedule very soon.
- the CHAOSS swag has (almost all) arrived in Matt Germonprez’s living room, and it’s awesome.
- reminder that we will be live-streaming the event, for free, for those who are unable to attend in person.
- reminder that COVID vaccinations and masks will be required for those attending in person.
Registration is still available for the event, and we can’t wait to see you!
Reminder: Come Join us in Slack!
CHAOSS has revived our Slack channel as a form of connecting with our community and holding space for newcomers to ask questions. If you like Slack, join us here! https://join.slack.com/t/chaoss-workspace/shared_invite/zt-r65szij9-QajX59hkZUct82b0uACA6g. Join our #office-hours channel if you have questions, or just pop in our #general channel to say hello! (Also, please note, we have updated the link, so now it won’t expire!)
All calls use our CHAOSS community Zoom link: https://zoom.us/my/chaoss (except the DEI Badging Weekly Meeting). All meetings are listed in the US Central Time (Chicago) timezone. (Convert into your local time here).
Wednesday, September 1
- CHAOSS on the Web: chaoss.community
- CHAOSS on GitHub: github.com/chaoss
- CHAOSS on Community Bridge: tinyurl.com/y6bao886
- CHAOSS Podcast: tinyurl.com/CHAOSScast
- CHAOSS on YouTube: youtube.com/c/CHAOSStube
- CHAOSS on Twitter: twitter.com/chaossproj
- CHAOSS on LinkedIn: linkedin.com/company/chaoss/
- CHAOSS on Slack: chaoss-workspace