Weekly Newsletter (August 3-7, 2021)
Only a Few Days Left to Submit to CHAOSScon!
The CHAOSScon CfP will be open until August 13, so you have just a few more days to submit a talk! Some suggested topics are:
Software related metrics topics:
- walk throughs
- new features
Metrics related topics:
- metrics strategy
- deep dive into the use of metrics
- failure of metrics in practice
- lessons learned, use cases, and case studies
- proposals for new metrics
- new visualizations
Do you have something to share in one of these areas? We highly encourage you to send in an abstract.
You can also now register for Open Source Summit, and the CHAOSScon add-on. CHAOSScon is happening in-person (and virtually) September 30 in Seattle, immediately following the OSS conference.
Sponsorship opportunities are also available! We’d be incredibly grateful for your company’s support, and your sponsorship will help us improve our DEI efforts for the conference.
Latest Updates from our Students
We are so proud of the amazing work coming from all our 2021 GSoC and Summer-OSPP students. You can read about all their progress here:
- Sevagen Veerasamy (GrimoireLab Tutorial): Setting Up ReadtheDocs
- Dhruv Sachdev (Dependencies): Working on Libyear Worker for Augur
- Ritik Malik (MARS): Implementing a New Model, Processing Translation Files, and Auto-Creating Chinese PDF
- Yash Prakash (MARS): Building a New Community-Approved Dynamic Translation Process
Keep up the amazing work, everyone!
Upcoming CHAOSS Community Talks at OSSummit and OSPOCon
Some members of the CHAOSS community have upcoming talks at conferences, so we’d like to help them spread the word! If you’re attending the upcoming OSSummit/OSPOCon, we encourage you to check them out:
- A Beginners Guide to Open Source Metrics and Analysis (Sophia Vargas)
- Panel Discussion: Contributor Leaderboards to Incentivize Good Community Citizenship (Georg Link, Amy Marrich, Matthew Tift, Matt Germonprez, Sean Goggins)
- Panel Discussion: Eliminating Common Barriers to Contribution for More Inclusive Communities (Georg Link, Daniel Izquierdo, Anita Sarma, Mariam Guizani)
If you have an upcoming talk and would like to include it in the CHAOSSweekly, let Elizabeth know or add it to our spreadsheet.
Next Metrics Release Dates
As a point of note, the upcoming metric release schedule is as follows:
- September 1, 2021: Metrics development freeze.
- September 1 – September 30: Public feedback period on proposed metrics.
- October 1, 2021 (Approx): 2021-10 Metrics release.
All working groups should strive to bring closure to metrics currently in progress by September 1 if possible.
Reminder: Come Join us in Slack!
CHAOSS has revived our Slack channel as a form of connecting with our community and holding space for newcomers to ask questions. If you like Slack, join us here! https://join.slack.com/t/chaoss-workspace/shared_invite/zt-r65szij9-QajX59hkZUct82b0uACA6g. Join our #office-hours channel if you have questions, or just pop in our #general channel to say hello! (Also, please note, we have updated the link, so now it won’t expire!)
Wednesday, August 10
8:00am Asia – Pacific CHAOSS Community Call (Agenda & Minutes)
10:00am Diversity & Inclusion Working Group Meeting (Agenda & Minutes)
Thursday, August 11
9:00am Value Working Group Meeting (Agenda & Minutes)
- CHAOSS on the Web: chaoss.community
- CHAOSS on GitHub: github.com/chaoss
- CHAOSS on Community Bridge: tinyurl.com/y6bao886
- CHAOSS Podcast: tinyurl.com/CHAOSScast
- CHAOSS on YouTube: youtube.com/c/CHAOSStube
- CHAOSS on Twitter: twitter.com/chaossproj
- CHAOSS on LinkedIn: linkedin.com/company/chaoss/
- CHAOSS on Slack: chaoss-workspace