Weekly Newsletter (July 5-9, 2021)
CHAOSS App Ecosystem Working Group Meeting at 1:00 pm US Central/Chicago Today
Here’s not only a reminder that our App Ecosystem Working Group meets today, but also that it’s taking place an hour later, at 1:00 pm US Central/Chicago Time. This time change will be for today only, and they will be discussing event metrics. You can join this meeting at our regular Zoom channel: https://zoom.us/my/chaoss.
CHAOSScon Registration, CfP and Sponsorship are OPEN!
You can now register for Open Source Summit, and the CHAOSScon add-on. CHAOSScon is happening in-person (and virtually) September 30 in Seattle, immediately following the OSS conference.
Also, we encourage you to check out our Call for Proposals and submit a talk! Read on for ideas around suggested topics:
Software related metrics topics:
- walk throughs
- new features
Metrics related topics:
- metrics strategy
- deep dive into the use of metrics
- failure of metrics in practice
- lessons learned, use cases, and case studies
- proposals for new metrics
- new visualizations
Do you have something to share in one of these areas? We highly encourage you to send in an abstract.
Week 5 Updates from our GSoC Students – Halfway There!
The Google Summer of Code project is halfway complete! It’s hard to believe how quickly time is passing. We always like to share updates from some of our students, because they are all doing really great work!
- Ritik Malik (MARS) – Digging deep into Docker and containerizing Automation
- Yash Prakash (MARS) – Tested Docker implementation and added more elements to the PDF
- Dhruv Sachdev (Dependencies) – implemented the Scorecard project, and building a new worker for Libyear to calculate the dependency freshness of a project.
We know you’re all working hard, so keep up the great work! You’re doing amazing things.
Reminder: Zoom Office Hours Now Open Every Monday
Last week, we started hosting open office hours on Mondays for newcomers to the CHAOSS project. For those who aren’t familiar with this term, it’s a time when one of the CHAOSS community will be openly available on Zoom to answer any questions you have. No registration needed; you can just hop on the CHAOSS Community Zoom call any time during the 2-hour window, and leave when your question has been answered.
- When: Every Monday, beginning June 7
- Time: 9:00 am – 11:00 am US Central (Chicago) Time
- Where: https://zoom.us/my/chaoss
Come say hello and we’ll help you find what you need!
And here’s a reminder that if you’re already a member of the CHAOSS community and would like to help out with this initiative, you can sign up for a 2-hour slot here.
Only a Few Workshops Left for Getting Started as a Contributor to CHAOSS Software
You still have time to join one of our upcoming workshop series. All workshops will be hosted on our Community Zoom (https://zoom.us/my/chaoss) and are from 8am – 10am CDT, 6:30pm – 8:30pm IST. You can join as an attendee, or a mentor! GSoC Students are also highly encouraged to attend.
Reminder: Come Join us in Slack!
CHAOSS has revived our Slack channel as a form of connecting with our community and holding space for newcomers to ask questions. If you like Slack, join us here! https://join.slack.com/t/chaoss-workspace/shared_invite/zt-ptka3wu9-ey~fd3lh7gj2659WVVzFMQ. Join our #office-hours channel if you have questions, or just pop in our #general channel to say hello! (Also, please note, we have updated the link, so now it won’t expire!)
Monday, July 12
1:00pm App Ecosystem Working Group (Agenda & Minutes)
Tuesday, July 13
11:00am CHAOSS Weekly Sync (Agenda & Minutes)
Wednesday, July 14
8:00am Asia – Pacific CHAOSS Community Call (Agenda & Minutes)
10:00am Diversity & Inclusion Working Group Meeting (Agenda & Minutes)
Thursday, July 15
9:00am Value Working Group Meeting (Agenda & Minutes)
- CHAOSS on the Web: chaoss.community
- CHAOSS on GitHub: github.com/chaoss
- CHAOSS on Community Bridge: tinyurl.com/y6bao886
- CHAOSS Podcast: tinyurl.com/CHAOSScast
- CHAOSS on YouTube: youtube.com/c/CHAOSStube
- CHAOSS on Twitter: twitter.com/chaossproj
- CHAOSS on LinkedIn: linkedin.com/company/chaoss/
- CHAOSS on Slack: chaoss-workspace