Weekly Newsletter (May 3-7, 2021)
CHAOSScast Episode #34: Anniversary Episode with Georg, Dawn, Matt, Sophia, & Elizabeth
This week we celebrated the anniversary of CHAOSScast, as it started a year ago! 🥳 Where did the time go? Join Georg Link, Dawn Foster, Matt Germonprez, Sophia Vargas and me (Elizabeth Barron) as we chat about the evolution of the podcast, of CHAOSS, and what might be in store for the future. We also talk about our favorite episodes and stories from the open source community. This was a lot of fun to record! Listen here: https://podcast.chaoss.community/34.
Tracking Non-Code Contributions Blog Post
Over the weekend, Georg Link published a super interesting blog post about his conversation with Marco Villegas. Marco has developed the Open Source Contribution Log tool that helps capture and quantify non-code contributions, and his work was based on CHAOSS metrics! If this is something you’d like to read more about, you can see the blog post here: https://chaoss.community/blog-post/2021/05/08/tracking-contributions-to-open-source/.
Reminder: Come Join us in Slack!
CHAOSS has revived our Slack channel as a form of connecting with our community and holding space for newcomers to ask questions. If you like Slack, join us here! https://join.slack.com/t/chaoss-workspace/shared_invite/zt-ptka3wu9-ey~fd3lh7gj2659WVVzFMQ. Join our #office-hours channel if you have questions, or just pop in our #general channel to say hello!
Upcoming Workshops for Getting Started as a Contributor to CHAOSS Software
In case you missed it, we have successfully launched a series of free virtual workshops to help you get started contributing to CHAOSS software (mostly centered on Augur). All workshops will be hosted on our Community Zoom (https://zoom.us/my/chaoss) and are from 8am – 10am CDT, 6:30pm – 8:30pm IST. You can join as an attendee, or a mentor! GSoC Students are also highly encouraged to attend.
- May 24, 2021 – Workshop: Configuring Your Computer (Getting Setup for Python Development in CHAOSS)
- June 5, 2021 – Workshop: Restful API Development
- June 19, 2021 – Jupyter Notebooks: Getting Started
- July 17, 2021 – Jupyter Notebook Visualizations
- July 31, 2021 – Workshop: Configuring Your Computer (Getting Setup for Python Development in CHAOSS & Intro to Github Workflow)
All calls (except the D&I Badging Outreach call) use our CHAOSS community Zoom link: https://zoom.us/my/chaoss. All meetings are listed in the US Central Time (Chicago) timezone. (Convert into your local time here).
Tuesday, May 11
10:00am D&I Badging Outreach Track (Agenda and Minutes)
11:00am CHAOSS Weekly Community Call (Agenda & Minutes)
Wednesday, May 12
9:00am Evolution Working Group Meeting (Agenda)
10:00am Diversity & Inclusion Working Group Meeting (Agenda & Minutes)
Thursday, May 13
10:00am Common Metrics Working Group Meeting (Agenda & Minutes)
2:00pm Risk Working Group Meeting (Agenda & Minutes)
- CHAOSS on the Web: chaoss.community
- CHAOSS on GitHub: github.com/chaoss
- CHAOSS on Community Bridge: tinyurl.com/y6bao886
- CHAOSS Podcast: tinyurl.com/CHAOSScast
- CHAOSS on YouTube: youtube.com/c/CHAOSStube
- CHAOSS on Twitter: twitter.com/chaossproj
- CHAOSS on LinkedIn: linkedin.com/company/chaoss/
- CHAOSS on Slack: chaoss-workspace