Weekly Newsletter (April 12-16, 2021)
Current Open Call for Proposals
There are a few conferences that have open Calls for Proposals right now, and we encourage our community members to get out there and talk about CHAOSS! If you are interested in presenting at any of these and need some help with your proposal, let me know and I can connect you with some “veteran” speakers who are happy to give you feedback on your abstract. Also, feel free to join our Working Groups, which are discussing potential topics and panel discussions.
- All Things Open: https://2021.allthingsopen.org/call-for-papers/ (Closes April 30!)
- OSSEU: https://events.linuxfoundation.org/open-source-summit-europe/program/cfp/ (Closes June 13)
- OSPOCON (attached to OSSEU) https://events.linuxfoundation.org/ospocon/program/cfp/ (also closes June 13)
Migrating to Groups.io
In the next few weeks, we are migrating to Groups.io to manage our mailing lists. If you are already a subscriber to our mailing list, NO ACTION IS NEEDED on your part, unless you’d like to unsubscribe from the mailing list. To unsubscribe, you can do so by using the unsubscribe form at the bottom of the mailing list page. You are welcome to unsubscribe from the list at any time, of course, even after the migration happens. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request we remove you from the list. Otherwise you probably won’t see any change in your inbox after the migration happens.
Standardization Project Still Underway
We wanted to thank those who have been working to standardize the CHAOSS repositories and naming across working groups, as this is a very daunting task! But at the end of it all, ensuring consistency across the project means we are better set up for future automation and newcomer contributions. Thank you to Ritik Malik, Yash Prakash, Georg Link, and Faisal Riyaz. Your hard work is greatly appreciated!
Upcoming Workshops for Getting Started as a Contributor to CHAOSS Software
In case you missed it, we have successfully launched a series of free virtual workshops to help you get started contributing to CHAOSS software (mostly centered on Augur). All workshops will be hosted on our Community Zoom (https://zoom.us/my/chaoss) and are from 8am – 10am CDT, 6:30pm – 8:30pm IST. You can join as an attendee, or a mentor! GSoC Students are also highly encouraged to attend.
- April 27, 2021 – Jupyter Notebook Visualizations
- May 24, 2021 – Workshop: Configuring Your Computer (Getting Setup for Python Development in CHAOSS)
- June 5, 2021 – Workshop: Restful API Development
- June 19, 2021 – Jupyter Notebooks: Getting Started
- July 17, 2021 – Jupyter Notebook Visualizations
- July 31, 2021 – Workshop: Configuring Your Computer (Getting Setup for Python Development in CHAOSS & Intro to Github Workflow)
All calls (except the D&I Badging Outreach call) use our CHAOSS community Zoom link: https://zoom.us/my/chaoss. All meetings are listed in the US Central Time (Chicago) timezone. (Convert into your local time here).
Wednesday, April 21
8:00am Asia – Pacific CHAOSS Community Call (Agenda & Minutes)
10:00am Diversity & Inclusion Working Group Meeting (Agenda & Minutes)
Thursday, April 22
9:00am Value Working Group Meeting (Agenda & Minutes)