Weekly Newsletter (October 12-16, 2020)
All Things Open – Free Conference Oct 19-20
All Things Open is happening today and tomorrow, and it is a free conference that is jam packed with talks and small group discussions and of course keynotes and a virtual exhibit hall. You can still register and attend the event! Some interesting points of note:
- CHAOSS has a booth in the exhibit hall (courtesy of our friends at Bitergia!), so come say Hello!
- Venia Logan will be leading a discussion on Community Health at 2:00 EDT today
- Manrique Lopez is giving a talk entitled Open Source Program Office is a Key Element for your Company, but also for the Open Source Ecosystem at 10:30 EDT October 20
- Dawn Foster is giving a talk entitled Is this Open Source Project Healthy or Lifeless? at 11:30 EDT on October 20
- Ray Paik is co-presenting a talk entitled Ensuring that Documentation is a First-class Citizen in Open Source Projects at 1:30 EDT on October 20
- Eriol Fox is co-presenting a workshop entitled Open Source Design Contributions for your OSS project today at 2:00-4:45 pm EDT.
We encourage you to check out the schedule and see if there is anything that’s right for you!
SustainOSS is our New CHAOSScast Sponsor! Hooray!
Huge shoutout to our new CHAOSScast sponsor, SustainOSS. Sustain is all about leading discussions on sustaining open source in the long-haul. They meet once per year in person and have an active forum throughout the year. You can join their conversations at sustainOSS.org and @SustainOSS on Twitter. We are so grateful for their support and for helping CHAOSScast stay around. Thank you, friends!
If you or someone you know has been looking for projects to contribute to during Hacktoberfest, look no further than our very own GrimoireLab and Augur! Both projects will have issues marked for Hacktoberfest participants and would welcome contributions of all kinds!
For more information about Hacktoberfest and what it’s all about, visit https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/.
New Zoom Link Coming November 1
Our Community and Working Group calls are an integral part of how we get stuff done here at CHAOSS, and we want to make sure everyone knows that we will be switching to a new Zoom link for them starting November 1. This will be provided by the Linux Foundation (thanks friends!) and will be more open and have broader shared ownership than the one graciously being provided from the University of Nebraska. Of course we will be posting this information in all the right places, this is just a heads-up that the change is coming.
All meetings are in US Central Time (UTC-5) and are held at unomaha.zoom.us/j/720431288. We’d love for you to join!