Question: How well does the speaker lineup for the event represent a diverse set of demographics and can be improved in the future?
Speakers with diverse backgrounds who represent a variety of demographics help an event provide different viewpoints and broader perspectives. Events with diverse speakers allow people from a variety of different backgrounds to feel more included in an event when they see people with similar demographics in important positions within the community.
- Speakers are from diverse backgrounds.
- Speakers are diverse when grouped by keynotes, sessions, and tracks.
- Repeat speakers are from diverse backgrounds (retention).
- demographics: Some subjective questions should be analyzed in light of the responder’s demographics. Everyone has a different perspective. Investigating the responses for each group of demographics can indicate whether some demographics feel less included than the average.
- Keynotes, sessions, and tracks
Data Collection Strategies
Interview speakers and attendees to understand more about why the speakers did or did not meet their diversity and inclusion expectations. Sample questions include:
- Interview question: What can we do to improve the diversity and inclusion of speakers at this event?
- Interview question: Did you feel represented by the speakers?
Survey speakers and attendees to learn to what extent the event met their diversity and inclusion expectations. Sample questions include:
- Likert scale [1-x] item: How well did the speaker lineup meet your diversity and inclusion expectations?
- Likert scale [1-x] item: In light of your diversity and inclusion experience, how likely are you to recommend this event to speakers?
Use the event website, registration data, and other available details about speakers to quantify speaker diversity.
- Compare proposals submitted by speakers from diverse backgrounds to accepted proposals
- Explore registration data or contact event organizers to provide data/stats regarding speaker demographics
- Other details may include speakers’ twitter account, listed pronouns, descriptions, or other speaking engagements.