Question: What is the organizational diversity of contributions?
Organizational diversity expresses how many different organizations are involved in a project and how involved different organizations are compared to one another.
- Get a list of organizations contributing to a project.
- See the percentage of contributions from each organization within a defined period of time.
- See the change of composition of organizations within a defined period of time.
- Get a list of people that are associated with each organization.
- Collect data from data sources where contributions occur.
- Identify contributor affiliations to get a good estimate of which organizations they belong to.
- Correlate information about contributions, assigning each to appropriate organization.
- Depending on the needs of the project, you may want to consider such issues as how to handle multiple email addresses, affiliation changes over time, or contractor vs. employee.
Tools Providing the Metric
GrimoireLab supports organizational diversity metrics out of the box. The GrimoireLab SortingHat manages identities. The GrimoireLab Hatstall user interface allows correcting organizational affiliation of people and even recording affiliation changes.
- View an example visualization on the CHAOSS instance of Bitergia Analytics.
- Download and import a ready-to-go dashboard containing examples for this metric visualization from the GrimoireLab Sigils panel collection.
- Add a sample visualization to any GrimoreLab Kibiter dashboard following these instructions:
- Create a new Pie chart
- Select the
- Metrics Slice Size:
- Buckets Split Slices:
metric: ContributionsOrder By,
- Select the
- Example Screenshot
- LF Analytics provides organization diversity metrics in the primary view for commits, issues filed, and communication channels (current support for Slack and groups.io)
Data Collection Strategies
- Footprint of an organization in a project or ecosystem
- Influence of an organization in a project or ecosystem
- Affiliation diversity in governance structures.
- % of commits by each organization
- % of merges/reviews from each organization
- % of any kind of contributors from each organization
- % of lines of code contributed by each organization
- % issues filed by each organization
- Contributing Organizations - What is the number of contributing organizations?
- New Contributing Organizations - What is the number of new contributing organizations?
- New Contributor Organizations - New organizations contributing to the project over time.
- Number of Contributing Organizations - Number of organizations participating in the project over time.
- Elephant Factor - If 50% of community members are employed by the same company, it is the elephant in the room. Formally: The minimum number of companies whose employees perform 50% of the commits
- Affiliation Diversity - Ratio of contributors from a single company over all contributors. Also described as: Maintainers from different companies. Diversity of contributor affiliation.
- In projects with the concept of code ownership, % of code owners affiliated with each organization weighed by the importance/size/LoC of the code they own and the number of co-owners.
- Potential implementations and references: