Code of Conduct for a Project
Question: How, and in what specific ways, does the code of conduct for a project support diversity, equity, and inclusion?
The existence of a code of conduct signals the project’s awareness and concern for creating an equitable, diverse, and inclusive environment. The criteria outlined in a specific code of conduct clarifies for project members what is acceptable behavior, and potential consequences for unacceptable behavior. Finally, a code of conduct should provide well defined enforcement and reporting mechanisms for addressing violations of the code. The extent to which enforcement is easy to access, and consistently executed, the code of conduct is effective for ensuring a diverse, equitable, and inclusive project.
A code of conduct in a project provides the following:
- A signal that a community takes diversity, equity, and inclusion seriously.
- A way to evaluate a community for diverse, equitable, and inclusive design, before investing any time in that project.
- Information about whether or not a person’s demographic is protected before participating in a project.
- Reassurance that project partners and allies also take diversity, equity, and inclusion seriously- Understanding around how a violation is reported and handled.
- Way of knowing that the code of conduct is being enforced; and not just the potential for enforcement.
- Clear expectations of community behavior.
- Information about possible avenues of support to victims of inappropriate behavior.
Tools Providing the Metric
Data Collection Strategies
- Identify the location of the code of conduct as it pertains to primary areas of interaction and participation in the projects (i.e., repository root, project website, communication channels).
- Determine if the code of conduct passes Mozilla’s Code of Conduct Assessment Tool
- Interview community members to understand more about why the code of conduct does or does not meet their expectations.
- Interview community members as to what the project can do to improve the code of conduct?
- Interview community members regarding how this community met or exceeded code of conduct expectations
- Survey participants about the code of conduct. Sample survey questions include:
- Likert scale [1-x] item: How well did the project meet your code of conduct expectations?
- Likert scale [1-x] item: How clear are you on the rights and responsibilities of community members as described in the code of conduct?
- Likert scale [1-x] item: How much does a code of conduct influence your participation and sense of safety?
- Likert scale [1-x] item: How easily did you understand the code of conduct and how to report violations?
- Likert scale [1-x] item: How easily did you locate the code of conduct and how to report violations? [i]
- Likert scale [1-x] item: To what extent did the existence of the code of conduct make you feel safer, and more empowered to fully participate in this project? [i]
- Likert scale [1-x] item: If you reported a violation of the code of conduct, to what extent was it resolved to your satisfaction? [i]
[i] Some sample questions re-used from the Mozilla project.
- Matt Germonprez
- Lauren Phipps
- Elizabeth Barron
- Amy Marrich
- Sean Goggins
- Kafayah Lawal
This metric was last reviewed on July 20, 2022 as part of the metrics revision process.