Question: Where are open source project events located?
This metric helps understand where events for a project are located to better understand the project’s commitment to engage a global audience. Project events may include conferences, hackathons, meetups, and other synchronous get togethers. Project events may be embedded or co-located with other open source events.
To give insight as to where project events and meet-ups are happening globally.
The usage and dissemination of health metrics may lead to privacy violations. Organizations may be exposed to risks. These risks may flow from compliance with the GDPR in the EU, with state law in the US, or with other law. There may also be contractual risks flowing from terms of service for data providers such as GitHub and GitLab. The usage of metrics must be examined for risk and potential data ethics problems. Please see CHAOSS Data Ethics document for additional guidance.
- Virtual versus in-person or hybrid
- Attention to time zones
- Collocated with another conference
- Geographic Region
- Type of event (local meetup vs. global conference)
Tools Providing the Metric
- Shared or publicly available calendars on project websites
- Event lists on Foundation or project websites
Data Collection Strategies
- Ask event organizers
- Look on project or foundation websites. For example: https://events.linuxfoundation.org/
- Aggregated Open Source event sites
- IEEE SA Open’s Community Calendar: https://saopen.ieee.org/events/
- Elizabeth Barron
- Dawn Foster
- Vinod Ahuja
- Kevin Lumbard
- Matt Germonprez